Authenticity is the cornerstone of your “know, like and trust factor”. This is why video marketing is becoming so important. Years ago there would be a person to person meeting and the shaking of hands meant “you have a deal?” Then we moved into more and more electronic means starting with facsimile and whether a faxed signature was still binding. As technology became more prevalent and business picked up pace, there was no longer time for snail mail. In all of this technology, the human connection was lost in many transactions. This has helped some areas and has begun to have a high price in others.
Humans by nature crave connection. Human biology requires connection with others in order to thrive. Authenticity is the measure that you are being genuine and reliable in your interactions. Authentic connection is much more valuable and desirable that superficial type interactions.
As electronic communication continues to grow, it is only natural that video marketing and communication is moving into the forefront. We want “the real thing.” This means we want to know who we are dealing with and something that makes them human, rather than a machine. For you to be congruent means that you are aligned and your motives are evident by word and action.
You know when you or someone else is authentic when the you and the other are:
- Dependable and Trustworthy
Your authenticity quotient is the degree to which you are true to your personality, character, spirit despite external pressure or influence.
For a business to be authentic, these characteristics are the predominant influencers within the corporate culture. Let’s face it, people are able to tell if the business is authentic or not. The inauthentic business could have a great product or service and it will not thrive for long if there is not real connection. The more virtual the business interactions, the more vital your authenticity is for your companies’ prosperity, productivity and inspiration.
Authenticity works because you stay tuned to you.
- It elevates you above the misaligned or inauthentic businesses
- It enables relate-ability. People want to connect so this is vital for your success.
- It helps your prospects determine is what you offer aligns for them. This saves time and money.
- It enhances your brand into something that is relatable and can be identified.
- It increases the quality of your product or service.
- It encourages engagement with others which help move you toward your vision.
- It marks you are a reliable and trustworthy source.
Being Authentic is important in your business and personal environments. Do your insides match your outsides or are you maintaining a veiled presence? Living only from your intelligence without honor and expression of your emotions and vision is a form of in-authenticity. After all, if you are not a robot, bring all of you to the table. When your motives are hidden or unclear, your authenticity quotient is lowered. There are specific actions that denote an authentic person. Some may sound easy yet it is your inner truth and inner honesty that shines through the videos and this is your authenticity level. Merely thinking of yourself as authentic does not make it so.
There are specific actions that authentic people do:
- Be Responsive
- Respect Privacy
- Be Accountable
- Be Consistent
- Be Charitable
- Be willing to back up your words with actions
- Be willing to nurture those coming behind you
- Be clear on your limits and respect them
These are some concrete examples of the ways authentic people act and present themselves. There are other related specific actions of authentic people that could easily complement the above list as well.
If you want to enjoy your work and experience the freedom, joy and peace that come with living authentically, there are some things to consider and do as part of your authentic life. Authenticity is not just a good idea or a cool catch phrase. Authenticity comes through and not only is it tangible but it is also intangible. This is why video marketing can be a great tool. If you plan to be inauthentic in your life and business, I suggest using something other than video as video will rise up the authentic folks and not assist the inauthentic folks so much.
Here is an authenticity checklist:
- Define your goals, mission and vision with precision, using affirmative statements and phrases
- Maintain your core identity at all times, not being swayed by the temporary winds
- Encourage audience interaction both personally and electronically
- Share ideas of value and worth, being stingy works against you
- Let you real personality shine forth. A smile and clear eyes go a long way.
- Be consistent and be wary of mixed messages
- Have clearly identified and transparent motives – develop a purpose other than money
- Be enthusiastic and personable
- Be available – being aloof and unresponsive to your audience is seen as inauthentic
When you are making decisions on how to progress your personal vision and/or your business vision and mission, you want to have a high authenticity quotient to ensure your success and happiness. When you are internally being honest with your inner landscape, you will able to determine if the items of this checklist are part of you daily actions. The more yes responses, the higher your authenticity quotient.
Use videos and have fun being your authentic self. People are tired of doing business or engaging with machines. The step away from real life type of electronic lifestyle is taking its toll on our relationships, families, businesses and society at large. Whenever possible engage in a personal manner, when not possible, use videos to help you connect. You’ll be glad you did!