Episode 192: Dealing with Change Using Art and Creativity with Renate van Nijen
Are you finding yourself more stressed or overwhelmed lately? With the pandemic continually changing our lives and the rest of the world, it is vital to find a way to deal with it so we don’t get trapped in unhealthy behaviors.
In this episode of Someone Gets Me, Dianne A. Allen hosts a valuable discussion on how to deal with change using art and creativity with Renate van Nijen, a successful Dutch artist, art teacher, and published writer living in Spain.
Key points covered in this episode about creativity:
- Renate van Nijen has always loved drawing and doodling from a young age but was discouraged later in life because “being an artist doesn’t make you money.”
- Working as an unhappy secretary for some years and getting depressed brought Renate to a series of life’s twists and turns until she finally pursued painting and writing as a career
- If you keep saying “yes” to the scary, uncomfortable things — the right things will happen at the right time. Such is Renate’s mindset; she is now living her dream life by trying new things when she felt she wasn’t ready, capable, or talented enough.
- Know how ART Therapy can benefit you. If you find yourself more stressed than usual, art will help you explore and cope with overwhelming emotions, develop self-awareness, and boost self-esteem.
- Painting will help you keep your sanity, and so does writing. Renate published her first book in 2010 and has since written eight. She tells stories with her painting and paints pictures with her stories.
- Understand that we are all gifted with the ability to express ourselves creatively. Learn Renate van Nijen’s tips on getting started in your painting journey, techniques on overcoming blocks in your creativity, how to let go of perfectionism and get in touch with who you are and what you like.
Follow Renate van Nijen:
LinkedIn: Renate van Nijen
Connect with Dianne A. Allen
You have a vision inside to create something bigger than you. What you need are a community and a mentor. The 6-month Visionary Leader Program will move you forward. You will grow, transform and connect. http://bit.ly/DianneAAllen
Join our Facebook Group Someone Gets Me
Follow Dianne on Facebook: Dianne A. Allen
Dianne’s Mentoring Services: msdianneallen.com
Schedule a free 30-minute call with me at VisionsApplied.com/Meet
Be sure to take a second and subscribe to the show and share it with anyone you think will benefit. Until next time, remember the world needs your special gift, so let your light shine!